Asbestos caused former PC’s death, inquest rules
11:06 09 November 2012
A retired policeman from Exmouth who died earlier this year was killed by a disease caused by exposure to asbestos, an inquest has ruled.
Charles Troake, who was 91 years old and lived in Bapton Close, died on June 25 at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
Two doctors’ reports which were read to the inquest at County Hall said that married Mr Troake, who was born in East Budleigh, had died from malignant mesothelioma.
The coroner, Dr Elizabeth Earland, told the inquest that this disease is almost always caused by exposure to asbestos.
Although she could not be sure when Mr Troake had been exposed, Dr Earland said he could have been exposed during his work as a policeman, when called to industrial premises, or during his previous career in the army, when he was called to an industrial strike at a gasworks.
Dr Earland, therefore, recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.
Other News Stories
Honiton ladies have bowled their way into the final of the Yetton Plate national championship, writes Julie Grant.
James Flory from Culmstock, who joined Devon and Somerset Gliding Club in the autumn, has soloed his first glider at North Hill, writes Jill Harmer.
Clyst St George are adding another age-group side to their youth section this summer to deal with the burgeoning numbers at the club, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
Fairtrade Fortnight – the annual event to promote Fairtrade products – is now on in Exmouth. It runs until Sunday, March 8, and includes discounts in some shops and a visit from a Kenyan tea grower. Samples of Fairtrade products will also be in the town centre later in March.
Honiton Under-11s were involved in a round-robin festival at Sidmouth, writes Luke Owen.
Axe Valley Community College student Tony Pinder has been selected to represent Devon at the National round of the Schools Cross Country competition.