Axminster housing scheme appeal rejected

PUBLISHED: 11:28 31 October 2012

Cedar Gardens

Cedar Gardens

Archant

Inspector upholds East Devon planning committee’s decsision to refuse Cedar Gardens roadside development

Residents in Axminster are celebrating victory in the latest round of their long-running battle to halt a town centre housing development.

A government inspector has upheld a decision not to allow homes to be built on land fronting Cedar Gardens, in Musbury Road.

The application from Justin Werb, of Shute-based Berkley Park, Cedar Ltd, was to build two new houses and two flats and make alterations to the existing parking and communal areas and convert two existing flats into a single two-bed dwelling.

There was massive local opposition to the proposal – the second bid to develop this site – and it was rejected earlier this year after East Devon planners took along a pole to show how high the proposed buildings would be.

Following their decision Mr Werb lodged an appeal which has now been dismissed by inspector John Allen.

He ruled the proposed roadside development would be out of keeping with the current street scene and he said residents opposite, in Penny’s Terrace, would be overlooked.

His report continued: Although the proposal would be domestic in scale it would offer a strong sense of enclosure directly opposite Penny’s Terrace and in significant proximity to it.

“This would materially alter the outlook from the opposing properties in a manner that would appear overbearing and unduly oppressive.

“I find the opposing windows, especially at first floor level between bedrooms, would also give rise to unacceptable levels of overlooking falling below any levels of privacy that both existing and future occupiers of the proposed development might reasonably expect to enjoy.”

Mr Allen concluded: ”I find that the proposal would be harmful to the character and appearance of the area and the living conditions of both nearby existing occupiers and future occupiers of the development.”

Welcoming the decision local ward councillor Douglas Hull said: “I am delighted on behalf of the residents and the people in Penny’s Terrace opposite, who looked forward to a bleak future if that scheme was allowed.

“I would now appeal to the owner to tidy up the place. People paid a lot of money to have their gardens kept up to a proper standard but now it is shambolic - a disgrace to that part of town.”

Other News Stories

07:02

An open meeting is being planned to discuss and show support for the 2018 Christmas illuminations

Read more
Yesterday, 15:02

Children stop lessons to pick up a book

Read more
Yesterday, 15:02

Woodroffe’s annual exhibition will open at The Malthouse Gallery on January 26

Read more
Yesterday, 15:00

The properties, proposed by Bailey Partnership, are age-restricted for people aged 55 and over.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:11

Our Devon quiz is back for another round!

Read more
Yesterday, 12:00

Toni Sloman and teenager Micha both sustained fatal injuries when their vehicle collided with a van near Axminster in 2016.

Read more
Yesterday, 07:02

Thieves get away with £16,000 worth of top quality winter coats from 4-Seasons

Read more
Thu, 17:45

South West Water says repairs should be completed by 8pm tonight (Thursday).

Read more
Thu, 15:02

Flying medics can now land at the playing fields after dark thanks to a local fundraising campaign

Read more
Thu, 14:06

The reported incidents include six criminal damage offences.

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 5°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Family notices
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Submit a Story
Buy Photos
Competitions
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Midweek Herald e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Local business directory

Honiton's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications