Chip lovers beware

11:22 21 February 2012

�

Archant

Figures reveal 5.5 per cent of accidental fires are caused by chip pans and deep fat fryers.

Chip lovers are being urged to take extra care when they indulge in one of the nation’s favourite foods - chips.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has issued the warning to coincide with National Chip Week.

Figures for 2010/11 show 5.5 per cent of all accidental dwelling fires were caused by chip pan or deep fat fryers, but 27 per cent of casualties were chip pan related.

“From the chip shop to the kitchen table, chips will quite rightly be on the menu this week,” says Fire Investigation Officer, Mike Burroughs.

“But the smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments. Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don’t leave the pan unattended. If your pan does catch light, don’t throw water over it– get out, stay out and call 999.”

Residents are urged to ensure they do not overfill a chip pan with oil and make sure the oil does not over heat as this can cause it to ignite.

In the event of a fire have an escape route in place and don’t take risks by tackling the fire.

Mr Burroughs added: “Repeatedly attending fires and seeing people make the same mistakes, places a responsibility on us to communicate the risk of death and injury. We hope that by encouraging people to take due care and attention with chip pans, we will start to see a reduction in these preventable accidents.”

0 comments

Other News Stories

14:59
Seaton Town Crier David Craner. Photo by Terry Ife ref mhs 9935-11-12TI

Resort gears up for the annual town criers’ contest

Read more
53 minutes ago
Churchill Retirement Living hold an official opening for their Holyshute Lodge development in Honiton, Devon, with Dame Esther Rantzen. She is pictured with Regional Managing Director Martin Young and residents.

The complex, on Langford Road, was opened officially by the popular TV personality on Tuesday, July 21.

Read more

The 61-year-old died after he landed on the airfield on Friday (July 31).

Read more
22 minutes ago
Debbie Scadding throwing at Exmouth Ceramic Group's workshop.

It’s official – clay is cool! With BBC Two’s Great Pottery Throwdown due to hit our screens this autumn, the ceramic arts are poised to enjoy a new surge in popularity.

Read more
06:59
Pupils with their new CD

Charmouth Primary School records its own music CD

Read more
Yesterday, 17:00

The surgery will be contacting all of its patients over the next six weeks who are current year 13 students, and who will be 18 by Monday, August 31, to have the Men ACWY vaccine.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:30
Water Babes at Axminster's Flamingo Pool Picture: CHRIS CARSON

Swimming tots dress as pirates to raise money for Tommy’s, the baby charity

Read more
Yesterday, 11:30

Officers arrived at the scene at Acland Park on Friday (July 31) at 6.23pm.

Read more
Yesterday, 06:59
A bee collects lavender pollen from a garden in Axminster. Picture CHRIS CARSON

Plans to create a wildlife-friendly garden at Seaton Wetlands

Read more
Sunday, August 2, 2015
Denise Bartlett welcomes flood victims Chris and Jackie to Lyme Regis on behalf of the Rotary Club, with a welcome pack of goodies in the foreground. Picture: SUBMITTED

The terrible floods which devastated villages in the Somerset Levels in the winter of 2013-14 are a distant memory for most of us, but for residents of the area the reality is very much different.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 12°C

Most Read News

Great British Life


Great British Life

Family notices
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Submit a Story
Buy Photos
Competitions
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Midweek Herald e-edition today E-edition


Honiton's trusted business finder