Barbecue warning after fire destroys Lyme Council hut

PUBLISHED: 11:55 12 July 2018 | UPDATED: 12:10 12 July 2018

The council hut which was destroyed by fire. Picture: LRTC

The council hut which was destroyed by fire. Picture: LRTC

Archant

Public is urged to properly dispose of barbecues - making sure the coals are cold

Beachgoers are being urged to take extra care when disposing of barbecues following a fire in Lyme Regis.

The warning comes after the town council’s enforcement officers’ hut at Monmouth Beach car park was recently destroyed in a blaze.

A still shouldering disposable barbecue which had been placed in a nearby waste bin is thought to have been the cause.

A spokesman for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “At this time of year, lots of people will be using barbecues and we urge them to take proper precautions to prevent the risk of fire.

“In Lyme Regis, there are designated bins for the safe disposal of barbecues, otherwise always ensure that coals are completely cold before being thrown away, ideally by damping down with water.

“You should never dispose of hot barbecue ashes in plastic rubbish bins, as this can easily start a fire.”

Town council staff dismantled the remains of the hut and attempted to salvage any of the contents, but found everything had been destroyed by fire.

The nearby parking payment machine also suffered damage and will be removed and replaced.

The council is now re-locating all litter bins which are near to other structures to prevent further incidents of this kind.

The council’s operations manager Matt Adamson-Drage said: “The council would like to thank the fire and rescue service for dealing with the incident efficiently, ensuring it was contained to the hut and the bin.

“Fortunately, it happened in the early hours of the morning when the area was quiet and no one was hurt.”

The public is encouraged to use the designated barbecue bins located on the seafront at Monmouth Beach, on the Cart Road in front of the amusement arcade, near the Royal Standard Inn, near the Blue Sea Café, and on the Cart Road near Cobb Gate car park.

Other top tips for the safe use of barbecues include:

• Always position the barbecue on a level site, away from wooden fencing, sheds and hedges.

• Don’t place the barbecue on dry grass or vegetation.

• Use firelighters or barbecue fuel to light the coals – NEVER use petrol or paraffin.

• Keep children and pets well away from the cooking area and never leave the barbecue unattended.

• Be careful when grilling fatty foods, as the fat can cause the coals to flare up.

• Always have a bucket of water or garden hose to hand in case a barbecue gets out of hand.

• Make sure the controls and cylinder valves of a gas barbecue are turned off before you change the cylinder, which should be done in a well-ventilated area. Always check the connections for leaks.

• Store gas cylinders outside and protect them from direct sunlight and frost.

• Make sure your gas barbecue is correctly serviced and that all joints are tightened, safe and secure.

• Never use a barbecue indoors or inside a tent, as they produce potentially lethal carbon monoxide.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 17:00

More than 200,000 people lined the streets of Devon and an extra £4m of spending was generated when the Tour of Britain rolled through the county last month.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:01

Results of Parish History Society’s reearch to go on show at the parish church

Read more
Yesterday, 15:00

Don’t miss our weekly round-up of photos from our readers.

Read more

The parents of a Cranbrook schoolboy who died from flu in January this year are calling on mums and dads to vaccinate their children.

Read more
Yesterday, 07:01

Healthy eating charity HALFF will help parents and carers prepare tasty and nutritious meals for families

Read more
Fri, 17:00

Court hears how around half a kilo of heroin and cocaine were driven into East Devon

Read more
Fri, 15:01

Societry members see some ‘sacred cow challenging’ moments

Read more
Fri, 10:30

Greggs could open a new store in Honiton as early as next year, the Herald can report.

Read more
Fri, 07:01

Special production will celebrate the South Wessex Organ Society’s first anniversary

Read more
Thu, 17:00

A pair of care homes close to Honiton have been rated ‘good’ by the UK’s health watchdog.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 6°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Family notices
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Submit a Story
Buy Photos
Competitions
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Midweek Herald e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Midweek Herald twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy


Show Job Lists


Find planning applications