Monday, November 4, 2013
Police are urging residents to keep safe and be safe this year.
Devon and Cornwall Police are encouraging those celebrating Guy Fawkes Night to remember that fireworks are explosives and should be respected.
More children than adults get injured by fireworks every year and the police want to stop that from rocketing.
Fireworks are explosives and burn at high temperatures, so they need careful handling and storage.
In particular, sparklers can reach temperatures more than 15 times as hot as boiling water and five times hotter than cooking oil.
PC Clive Vickery from Honiton Police Station said: “We want everyone to have an enjoyable fireworks night but remember that fireworks are dangerous and need to be handled properly, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
“Sparklers are really popular but can easily cause burns so please follow our advice when using them.
“Make a note of our top tips on staying safe and putting on your own display. Let fireworks night be one to remember for the right reasons.”
By following advice you can minimise harm to your family and friends.
Police have issued an advice list, which should keep you protected on Guy Fawkes Night:
• Never throw used fireworks, paraffin or petrol, on a bonfire.
• Take care around bonfires, especially keeping clothing away.
• Make sure bonfires are out and surroundings are safe before leaving.
• Misfired or partly used fireworks should be soaked in a container of water and the manufacturer should be contacted for advice on disposal.
• Keep pets indoors as most animals are scared by the bright lights and noise.