October 22 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Devon County Council confirms Pine Park Respite Centre in Honiton will open again in September.
A respite centre in Honiton will reopen its doors after serious flooding last year left the building unusuable.
Devon County Council announced last week that Pine Park Respite Centre would open again in September.
The temporary closure last December sparked concern from service users and their carers, who had feared it could shut its doors for good.
However, the reopening of the service in Honiton has come at the expense of one of the council’s respite centres in Exeter. Services at Haldon View Respite Centre will be temporarily suspended.
The costs of repairs at Pine Park are estimated to reach £130,000 this year; at a time when the council says it has to save £110 million by 2017 due to Government funding cuts.
This, it says, has meant it cannot make necessary repairs to Haldon View respite centre.
Councillor Stuart Barker, the council’s cabinet member with responsibility for the service, said: “We have looked at the number of people and families currently using respite and the frequency of their visits, and the fact that all four of our respite centres have ongoing spare capacity.
“But given the estimated cost to carry out necessary work at Haldon View, and because we have two respite centres in Exeter, we will reopen Pine Park respite centre in Honiton and temporarily suspend the service from Haldon View.”
People who had been using Pine Park respite centre before the flooding, and those who have since been using other council or private respite services, or waiting for the centre to reopen, can now return to using Pine Park.
The hygiene and clean-up work at Pine Park is almost complete, but the council’s plans include new floor coverings, replacement kitchen and bathroom units, and the reconstruction of damaged walls.
“Other maintenance to the building is also required before it reopens.