Thursday, January 2, 2014
‘Feniton has had enough’ says Feniton resident and local district councillor Susie Bond following the latest flooding in the village.
Mrs Bond, who is East Devon District Council representative for the Feniton and Buckerell ward, in her blog said:
“Feniton has really had enough. But there is more to come. The village has been on flood alert for much of the Christmas period, but so far the flood prevention measures put in place on individual properties have held and while roads and gardens have flooded, the houses have remained safe. This is largely due to EDDC engineers who have organised for ditches to be emptied, turning out on New Year’s Day to see what could be done.”
The village’s own volunteer flood wardens have also been out in force over the Christmas period clearing up debris that can block the drains and helping fellow residents in the village.
Mrs Bond added: “Along with many others, I was soaked to the skin dashing round the village in an effort to help those who had turned out to keep drains clear. It was metaphorically all hands to the pump. We don’t have any pumps capable of clearing the road.
“Water was gushing off the Wainhomes site through the children’s play area, through the allotments and risking houses further down the road.”
She also said sewage was ‘pouring out of the drains’ on Ottery Road.
She said: “The Environment Agency has been informed on each occasion and hopefully a picture will be building up of the inadequacies of the foul water network in the village.”
Speaking to the Midweek Herald today she said: “Mercifully no houses were flooded. Everybody was out helping each other.”
This latest incident of flooding comes as a super inquiry is set to get under way next week to look at three housing developments in the village.