EMH Logo

Axminster fire station

Major gas leak at Axminster

Thursday, November 22, 2012
11.30 AM

Fire crews called after main is accidentally drilled through at Kirby Close

Firefighters were called to an Axminster housing estate today (Thursday) after reports that workmen had accidentally drilled through a gas main.

Appliances from Axminster and Colyton, along with a gas detector monitor from Middlemoor, were sent to the incident at Kirby Close at around 10am.

Crews confirmed that the gas main was leaking but were unable to take any action until the arrival of the gas company so they could isolate the main supply.

A gas engineer subsequently attended and isolated the supply, crews then made the area safe and stood by with firefighting equipment as a precaution.