September 20 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Pet owners warned to be vigilant after reports that the potentially lethal substance has been washed up on the beach
Dog walkers have been put on alert after reports that potentially lethal palm oil has been washed up on Seaton beach.
While not harmful to people the substance poses a serious health risk for pets who ingest it – sometimes leading to death.
It is thought the oil may have come from the same source which contaminated the seafront at Lyme Regis recently and led to the town council putting up signs warning pet owners to stay away.
The palm oil has been washed ashore in large boulder-like clumps . It is a waxy substance which smells like diesel.
Dog owners are advised that the clinical signs to watch out for are usually vomiting and diarrhoea
Vets treat poisoned dogs with liquid charcoal to absorb the substance.
Palm oil has many uses and is found in food, soaps and shampoos, and biofuels.