November 28 2014 Latest news:
Jordan Joyce at home with his family and support worker. From left are Ryan Wilkes, Kayleigh Baldwin, Barbara Joyce, Jordan Joyce and Mark Joyce. Picture by Alex Walton. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref mhh 3429-04-14AW
Monday, January 27, 2014
A Honiton man, who was left fighting for his life following a collision with a car, is finally able to move on with his life after the end of a legal battle spanning nearly 10 years.
Jordan Joyce was left with serious brain injuries and some physical disabilities from the incident, which occurred back in November 2003, and has been awarded a settlement to help pay for his future care needs.
The incident took place near Honiton Fire Station when Jordan, who was 15 at the time, was helping a friend deliver newspapers.
Jordan and his family have welcomed the settlement. “It felt like it was holding me back,” says Jordan. “Now, I am able to go forward. The main thing is I’m going to have more independence.”
His mum Barbara added: “It is a relief from our point of view and it has given us peace of mind that Jordan is not going to have any worries in the future. It will be nice for him to have his independence and will give him a good quality of life. Our main concern was for Jordan’s future care and those needs will be taken care of.”
The settlement has meant Jordan, who is a keen musician, has been able to buy his own home, which he hopes to kit out with a dedicated music room. Peter Savage, a partner at the Medical Accident Group, who represented Jordan said: “It was a satisfactory outcome. It did take a long time and was a very difficult process for the family. We got the best possible outcome we could have got.
“Hopefully the damages can now be used to secure Jordan’s future and allow him and his family to maximise his and their quality of life taking into account the very serious injuries he sustained.”
The family have thanked their legal team for their hard work negotiating and securing a settlement for Jordan. Despite the ongoing legal battle Jordan threw himself into fundraising for Ronald McDonald House, Bristol last year - the charity provided support for his family and somewhere to stay while he was being treated in hospital in Bristol. He hopes to continue to help the charity.
He raised £1,689 for Ronald McDonald House – partly through the sale of his album Mystery Face, which was under his stage name BAR-T Joyce. Jordan has received plenty of support from the local community and has even been asked to perform at Honiton’s Sausage and Cider Festival. As well as continuing his fundraising he will also be working on his second album.