Don't miss a story sign up to Midweek Herald's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Warning issued after dog poisoned

14:28 05 August 2014

Harley.

Harley.

Archant

A Honiton woman has issued a warning to fellow dog owners after her Labrador cross tragically died after eating poison.

Patricia Franklin says her 11-year-old dog Harley ate slug bait whilst out walking in the Core Copse area of East Hill Strips, which is near Honiton.

However, she fears the slug pellets could have been left there on purpose.

Patricia said: “We hope that what Harley found was an isolated incident of someone discarding garden rubbish without thinking of the consequences, but we know deliberate poisoning has occurred in other areas, by someone incensed by dog mess left on the ground.

“If this turns out to be the case, then anyone who has ever not picked up after their dog has contributed to the death of our best friend. There is no excuse for not picking up.”

Patricia was unaware Harley had ingested the poison and said his condition took a turn for the worse hours after returning home.

She added: “A couple of hours later he was really panting uncomfortably and was restless, which is sign of heat stroke. I got wet towels to cool him down and thought that’s what was wrong.

“He started getting steadily worse and unsteady on his feet.”

Patricia took him to the vets where she was told he had eaten a large quantity of the poison. He was then put under anaesthetic and died on the morning of Thursday, July 17 following the Tuesday afternoon walk.

“It was dreadful. There is nowhere else he could have got it. It is not something we have or our neighbours have,” says Patricia.

However, Patricia told the Midweek Herald that she is not aware of any other incidents in the area and said it ‘never occurred’ to her that her dog had eaten poison. But, she admits she will probably never know what happened.

Following Harley’s death Patricia rang the Forestry Commission to report the incident.

A statement from the Forestry Commission said: “Forestry Commission staff were concerned to hear that Mrs Franklin’s dog had died due to suspected poisoning. Staff spoke to Mrs Franklin to ascertain the route taken through Core Copse in the East Hill Strips, East Devon, a Forestry Commission site.

“Staff confirmed that they saw nothing suspicious that a dog might pick up in the woods and that slug pellets or the like are never used by the Forestry Commission in these woods.

“The wood is a very popular area for dog walkers and no other incidents of a similar nature have been reported from people dog walking there.”

Other News Stories

12:41
Mary Fenner (right) with Carol Gilson.

Mary Fenner, 72, who has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, was given the new machine by Carol Gilson, founder of the Joe Gilson Mobility Scheme.

Read more
08:10
Damion Norcombe riding for Asthma UK

Damion plans a 100mile cycle marathon to raise money for fellow asthma sufferers

Read more
Yesterday, 17:08
Sergeant Mat Helm is excited to get started.

Mat Helm started his new job last week, and said he was ‘excited’ to get stuck in.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:53
Battle of the Somme

Special ceremony at the War Memorial to mark centenary of the battle which cost so many lives

Read more
Yesterday, 12:35

Lucy Deacon passed away at Abbyfield Hill House, in Dunkeswell Road, Combe Raleigh on January 9

Read more
Yesterday, 11:30
Chamber of Comerce members at Axminster Heritage Centre

Chairman Shane Morgan was delighted to greet the Honiton traders’ group president Colin Wright and chairman Tony McCollum.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:15
The new defibrillator at Beer. Ref shb 26-16AW 1132. Picture: Alex Walton

The legacy of a young woman will live on in her favourite seaside town after her family donated life saving equipment.

Read more
Yesterday, 07:45
Fly tipping at the Lamberts Castle beauty spot near Axminster

East Devon Council gets tough to protect the ‘wonderful coastline and countryside’

Read more
Tue, 17:30
Joan Davies -  the only survivor of the original Trustees when the ACS was formed 30 years ago

Members of Axminster Care Service (ACS) will be in party mood when they celebrate their 30th birthday at their annual meeting in The Guildhall on Thursday, June 30, at 7.30pm.

Read more
Tue, 14:58
Winning RNLI  stall organisers (l to r) Brian Cursley, Gerry Hampton and Peter Hampton.

Lifeboat team wins the Axe Vale Skip Award for Best Presented Charity Stand

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 13°C

Most Read News

Great British Life

Great British Life

Useful Links

Family notices
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Submit a Story
Buy Photos
Competitions
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Midweek Herald e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Local business directory

Honiton's trusted business finder

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications