Don't miss a story sign up to Midweek Herald's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Warning over dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning

11:00 26 February 2013

�

Archant

Four people taken to hospital suffering from symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is warning members of the public of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning following an incident at the weekend.

Firefighters found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide were found within a house during an incident on Saturday.

Four people were taken to hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Station manager Mark House said: “This incident illustrates how important it is to have carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke alarms.

“However, carbon monoxide alarms are not a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas appliances.”

He added: “You can’t see the poisonous fumes, you can’t taste them and you can’t smell them and you won’t realise you are being overcome by the fumes until it is too late.”

For more information visit www.dsfire.gov.uk/YourSafety/SafetyInTheHome/Carbonmonoxide.cfm?siteCategoryId=4&T1ID=35&T2ID=299

0 comments

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 18:00
Honiton mayor Cllr Caroline Kolek stopped by the fayre at Farway Primary School.

The event raised £344 for the school’s PTFA group.

Read more
Yesterday, 17:00
Holly Voysey, 21, from All Saints, Axminster

Former Lyme Regis Woodroffe School student Holly Voysey, 21, needs to raise £800 to finance her trip

Read more
Yesterday, 16:00
Bluebells at Holyford Woods

An invite to enjoy the birdsong and celebrate Bluebell Day at Holyford Woods

Read more
Some of the staff and residents at Abbeyfield Honiton following their Core Standard Award. Ref mhh 16-16SH 1574. Picture: Simon Horn

The core standard was awarded by the Abbeyfield Society in recognition of the home’s achievements in meeting standards that reflect the society’s core values and best practices in its aim to enhance the lives of old people.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:10
Exeter Crown Court.

A Honiton man has been ordered to do unpaid community work after he broke an ASBO by getting drunk and insulting a barmaid.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:30

Coffee#1, which recently opened a shop in Sidmouth, wants its Honiton branch to be in combined space at 125 High Street and Lace Walk arcade.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:26
Ladies with their spring posies

Ingrid learns how to create seasonal posies

Read more
Yesterday, 10:32
Graham Booker. Picture: Irving of Exeter.

A Sidmouth churchwarden, found guilty of pushing over an 85-year-old pensioner and kicking him as he lay on the ground, has been handed a suspended jail sentence.

Read more
Yesterday, 07:48
Lyme lifeboat crew members at last year's Blessing of the Boats. Picture: RICHARD HOROBIN

Big turnout expected at the annual harbourside service

Read more
Yesterday, 07:00
Honiton and District Lions president Steve Guilbert presents a cheque for £1,500 with fellow Lions to Val Royle-chairman of TRIP and representatives this week. Ref mhh 16-16SH 1562. Picture: Simon Horn

The event, held at the end of February, was organised and put on at The Beehive community centre by Honiton and District Lions Club.

Read more

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 3°C

Most Read News

Great British Life

Great British Life

Useful Links

Family notices
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Submit a Story
Buy Photos
Competitions
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Midweek Herald e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Local business directory

Honiton's trusted business finder

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications