EMH Logo

�

Warning over dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning

Tuesday, February 26, 2013
11.00 AM

Four people taken to hospital suffering from symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is warning members of the public of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning following an incident at the weekend.

Firefighters found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide were found within a house during an incident on Saturday.

Four people were taken to hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Station manager Mark House said: “This incident illustrates how important it is to have carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke alarms.

“However, carbon monoxide alarms are not a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas appliances.”

He added: “You can’t see the poisonous fumes, you can’t taste them and you can’t smell them and you won’t realise you are being overcome by the fumes until it is too late.”

For more information visit www.dsfire.gov.uk/YourSafety/SafetyInTheHome/Carbonmonoxide.cfm?siteCategoryId=4&T1ID=35&T2ID=299