Tuesday, January 8, 2013
National champion jockey Will Biddick took the riding honours with a treble at Larkhill.
The Larkhill Racing Club at Larkhill – 6 January 2013
National champion jockey Will Biddick took the riding honours with a treble at Larkhill. Certain Flight and Mendip Express (Conditions races), and Champagne Rosie (first Maiden) provided Will’s three wins.
Richard and Tina Dunsford’s Certain Flight sprinted clear at the second last before holding off Jack Barber’s renewed challenge aboard Glass’n A Half. “My daughter Nicky [Boundy] does all the work with him and he’s stronger this season and stays better”, said Bishops Nympton trainer Keith Cumings, who enjoyed an across-the-card double with Wadebridge winner The Wealerdealer, Certain Flight may go hunter chasing later in the season. Mendip Express, whose 1990s namesake won 38 races for Patsy Willis, Dick Baimbridge and Alison Dare, duelled with Little Cornham (Darren Edwards) over the last three fences but always seemed to have the upper hand. Champagne Rosie provided 21-year-old Greenwich University business studies student Charlotte Davis, daughter of permit holder Angela Davis, with her first win as a trainer. She said: “I’m at University on Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, then home at Sutton Montis with Champagne Rosie for the rest of the week. John Meaden wanted to sell her, but has let me train her this season for the experience. It’s the first win for our family since we lost Massimo in May, so it’s nice for us all”.
Emily MacMahon was in double form with Master Medic (AGA Ladies Open) and Alskamatic (second Maiden). The former, trained by Sally Alner and sporting Jim Chromiak’s well-known Pell Mell colours, stormed between horses after Billyvoddan (Jane Williams) and Description (Gina Andrews) looked to have the race between them jumping the last. “Sally said not to hit him, just give him a kick and he’ll take off two out and that’s just what he did,” said Emily. Alskamatic was a fortunate winner, as Silentplan was well clear when falling at the last. Bred by Peter Southcombe, but leased by The Plantation Picnic Club, Alskamatic was a first-ever winner for Kingsclere trainer Richard Bandey.
Leighton McGuinness, who has taken over the pointers from wife Marie, opened his account when Jack Barber produced the ex-Philip Hobbs-trained Zagova after the last in the third Maiden. “We boarded him for Philip as a youngster and we liked him then, but this is a bit of a surprise”, admitted Leighton, who doubled up when Lady Boru won at Wadebridge.
The Philip Rowley-trained Sybarite sprinted past top class rivals Roulez Cool, Coombe Hill and Dante’s Storm under Alex Edwards to take the Men’s Open. Sporting Raymond Mould’s Bindaree Grand National-winning colours, and one of the 20 unraced “Sprinter Scare job lot” purchased for the Moulds by David Minton in France in 2007, Sybarite won a Uttoxeter bumper and finished runner-up five times over obstacles for Bindaree’s trainer Nigel Twiston-Davies before switching to points.
Wingfield trainer Charlotte Tizzard followed Little Cornham and Coombe Hill’s placings with a deserved success when Parstara (Darren Edwards) ran away with the Restricted. “We had a proper schooling and galloping session here on 23 December”, said Charlotte. “We’ll try to qualify Parstara for the Connolly’s Red Mills Final, but she’ll be an ideal ladies’ open horse under 10st 7lb one day”.
The next Wessex Area meeting is the Royal Artillery at Larkhill on Saturday 26th January.
Larkhill Racing Club Members Conditions (Div 1) (15 ran)
1. Certain Flight (W Biddick, 4/1); 2. Glass’n A Half (J Barber, 7/4F); 3. Shy John (P Mason, 9/4). 6min 10s. 1½l, 2l. (K J Cumings)
Larkhill Racing Club Members Conditions (Div 2) (11 ran)
1. Mendip Express (W Biddick, 6/4F); 2, Little Cornham (D Edwards, 3/1); 3. West Cork Flash (Mrs C Dennis, 8/1). 6 min 09s. 3l, 10l. (R J Barber)
AGA Ladies Open (11 ran)
1. Master Medic (Miss E MacMahon, 3/1); 2. Description (Miss G Andrews, 5/4F); 3. Billyvoddan (Miss J Williams, 5/1). 6min 11s. 1½l, 1½l. (Mrs S Alner)
Open Maiden (Div 1) 5yo-8yo (16 ran)
1. Champagne Rosie (W Biddick, 3/1JF); 2. Slightly Hot (J Ponting, 10/1); 3. Buckle End (S Allwood, 4/1). 6min 24s. 8l, 12l. (Miss C Davis)
Open Maiden (Div 2) 5yo-8yo (14 ran)
1. Alskamatic (Miss E. MacMahon, 16/1); 2. All Great N Theory (D Renney, 6/1); 3. Lennie Da Lion (J Mathias, 7/1). 6min 20. 12l, 15l. (R J Bandey)
Open Maiden (Div 3) 5yo-8yo (14 ran)
1. Zagova (J Barber, 20/1); 2. Boardwalk Empire (J Ridley, 5/1); 3. Stapleton (Miss C Wills, 14/1. 6min 24s. ½l, 10l. (L J McGuinness)
Mens Open (17 ran)
1. Sybarite (Alex Edwards, 7/1); 2. Roulez Cool (S Waley-Cohen, 5/4F); 3. Coombe Hill (D Edwards, 7/1). 6min 13s. 3½l, 5l. (P Rowley)
Restricted (18 ran)
1. Parstara (D Edwards, 4/1); 2. Grumblers Holt (J Bailey, 3/1); 3. Garstin (M Hampton, 5/2F). 6min 23s. 8l, 3l. (Miss C A Tizzard)