Property of the Week: East Grange
- Credit: Humberts
East Grange, Toadpit Lane, West Hill, Ottery St Mary
Guide Price: £1,250,000
Agent's Tel: 01404 42456
This unique and exceptionally handsome former vicarage, situated in a secluded setting on the edge of the highly desirable village of West Hill, has a rich and fascinating history that once played a key role in the village's social scene.
This distinguished dwelling has origins dating back to 1850 when it was designed by Revd. George Buchanan Wollaston, the nephew of Sir James Taylor Coleridge. Originally used as a Vicarage and Chapel for around a century, in 1955 the property was converted, and a major section of it has been a family home for the past 40 years.
The prominent property still makes a strong first impression to this day with its long sweeping driveway that meanders through beautifully established grounds and majestic gardens that stretch to around 1 1/2 acres.
The house itself is of real architectural merit and is constructed of mellow brick and hung tile, with stone quoins and window surrounds, under a steeply pitched tiled roof.
Inside, the rooms are elegant, well-proportioned and retain a wealth of character. Fine examples of quality craftsmanship are clearly apparent, with notable highlights being intricate carpentry to the reception room bays, the splendid period fireplaces, and fine cornicing. All the principal rooms are naturally light, with large windows and high ceilings, and have lovely views over the grounds.
Outside, the glorious gardens are a real showstopper and offer a high degree of privacy. The lawns are bounded and interspersed with profusely stocked beds, mature shrubs and trees. There's also a pretty orchard, an outdoor pool and ‘The Hut’, a detached brick-built studio/office.
- 1 Racist graffiti daubed on The Volunteer pub in Honiton
- 2 Honiton supermarket reopens bigger and better
- 3 Artists collaborate with council on next stage of town's art trail
- 4 Landscape firm wins award for work on new housing development
- 5 Nightingale hospital in running for top industry award
- 6 Honiton’s Julian Phillips wins Devon past Captains event
- 7 Festival fishing in Torbay and Lyme Regis
- 8 Violent thug jailed after violent attack in supermarket
- 9 Rogue builder jailed for ripping off Honiton customers
- 10 Axe Valley Runners wear the national jersey