125 year milestone for Honiton business
- Credit: Archant
A long-established business in Honiton has reached an historic milestone – celebrating 125 years of trading.
Stationers A Dimond and Co Ltd is thought to be one of the oldest businesses in the town and was founded on June 26, 1888.
It is now owned by managing director Chris Warren, and Anthony and Janet Dimond, who are the fourth generation of the family to be involved in the High Street business.
“It must now be one of the oldest established businesses in the town,” says Anthony, who ran the store from 1984 after taking over from his father Arthur.
“We are very proud – it is a bit of the history of Honiton.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “To be in the same premises is quite an achievement.”
The printing office and staionery shop was started and run by Robert Dimond until his early death when his widow Elizabeth took over and continued the business’s legacy whilst raising her family.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
It was then taken over by Archie, Arthur’s father, and his sister Annie.
It wasn’t until 1946 that Arthur, a former mayor of Honiton and chairman of the chamber of commerce, came into the family business - running the shop for 38 years.
He said: “It has been hard work.”
Over the years the items sold in the shop have changed but the focus on customer service still remains a strong ethos today. Anthony said: “It is a family business based on service.
Chris added: “It is about customer service and going that extra mile to keep the customer happy.”
The business has won the Pride of Honiton award two years in a row in 2010 and 2011, which is voted for by members of the public.
Anthony said: “We have got support from the community but it was initially very difficult to start with. Honiton people have always supported us and like shopping in our shop. If you survive 25 years you are doing well, so 125 years you are doing very well.”
To celebrate the occasion A Dimond and Co will be running a 10 per cent off promotion in store.