The former offices of Honiton Town Council, Fairfield House could become four new flats if plans are approved.

Document 24/0668/FUL relates to Fairfield House New Street Honiton. The plans involve converting and partial change of use into four residential flats.

The plans involve dividing the house up into four flats, with a mixed commercial space within it as well. 

The application states: "The proposal presents an opportunity to secure the future of this historic building, reverting it back, for the most part, to its original domestic use with a low impact solution, which adds to the local economy and preserves this heritage asset."

The document has been prepared by GDV Limited, the owner of Fairfield House. 

Fairfield House, in New Street, has a long history.

A blue plaque on the building says in the 1700s and 1800s it was home to prominent surgeon Tanner John Colesworthy and Dr Samuel Davenish.

Miss Emily Woodgates ran a ladies' school between 1851 and 1856. In 1942 Dr John Hutchings Jerrard and his son John practised medicine there and during WW2 the building was home to the women's land army.

When Dr Jerrard died the building was sold off his estate to fund building the Jerrard wing at Honiton Hospital. In 1954, the property became the Honiton Borough Council Office.

Following the exit of the Town Council it became the offices of Bluebird Care until the end of 2022. It has since stood empty, with the previous owner unable to find a tenant or purchaser to take the three storey building on for commercial purposes. Renovation will need to be made on the inside of the property.

Over time, a lot of alterations have been made to Fairfield House, including the subdivision of the property to create Fairfield Cottage, and the JD Wetherspoons The Star Inn all back in the day was one big house.