A bakery on Millwey Industrial Estate in Axminster has been damaged by smoke, following a fridge fire this morning (June 5).

Fire control received a call from a member of the public at around 8am following reports of smoke issuing from the roof of a commercial building in Millwey, Axminster.

Control immediately mobilised Axminster, Lyme Regis Fire Station Charmouth Fire Station, the Aerial ladder platform from Yeovil Fire Station along with a supporting officer.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "Once we were on scene our crews confirmed smoke issuing from a commercial bakery and set about gaining entry to the premises using small tools.

"This was a fire within a commercial unit measuring approximately 35 x 10 Metres, the fire was located in a central unit which contained a commercial bakery."

"The main fire affected a Fridge Freezer unit and it’s content which was 100% damaged by fire, with smoke damage throughout the remainder of the property, the fire was extinguished using 4 x Breathing Apparatus, 1 x 45mm Safety Jet, 1 x Triple extension ladder, 1 x Thermal Imaging Camera, Small Tools."

The cause of the fire was believed to have been caused by an internal water leak affecting the electrics.