60s rebel tackles recycling issues
We have just experienced our first all new rubbish collection. I have dutifully separated all waste as requested. My partner, being a male of the species, is struggling with the rules.
We have just experienced our first all new rubbish collection. I have dutifully separated all waste as requested.
My partner, being a male of the species, is struggling with the rules.
I have become the 'food police', following him to the kitchen with his banana skin! But all in a good cause.
It is now time to mow the lawn and I wonder where to put the grass cuttings.
Recently moving from Oxfordshire, where we had an entire wheelie bin for garden waste, I was puzzled. On asking the council if hundreds of homes in Honiton would fill plastic sacks, get in their cars and drive down the A35 to the tip - I was told "Yes". Not exactly green.
Being a 60s rebel, I suggested putting it in the landfill bin. Poor woman had apoplexy and said they wouldn't take it.
- 1 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 2 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 3 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
- 4 Colyton decides on new neighbourhood development plan
- 5 Charity golf circus on the Honiton greens
- 6 UPDATE: Missing woman found after police appeal
- 7 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 8 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 9 Where to see Santa in the Seaton area this Christmas
- 10 There are troubling consequences for all of us in this real life satire
Warming to my civil disobedience theme, I asked how they would know if in a plastic sack? At this point, she nearly fell of the chair and dismissed me ASAP! She told me about Otter Rotters but, as an OAP, I balked at the cost.
Oxfordshire is tops in the country for recycling and why? Because they get paid for it - more waste recycled, more money.
Perhaps, I'll let the wind do it's job - both free and green!
Apologies to any householder in Honiton for any extra grass that might come your way!