Above and beyond the call of duty
Honiton physiotherapist nominated for the Midweek Herald’s Healthcare Hero award.
EAST Devon physiotherapist Nicky Perkins is the first NHS employee to be nominated for our Healt hcare Hero awards for going above and beyond the call of duty.
Nicky Perkins works as a member of the Honiton and Ottery St Mary complex care team (CCT) and was nominated by Roger Stimpson.
Roger, a renowned former fund-raiser from Honiton, suffers from severe Parkinson’s disease and his wife is also ill, contacted Nicky when he fell ill.
She went to his house and, even though she was due to have the afternoon off, sorted out a walking aid Roger and stayed with him and his wife until she was satisfied they were okay.
She even got them out into the garden to enjoy the sunshine sunshine.
Roger said Nicky went above and beyond the call of duty – giving up her own time to complete the job.
- 1 Tourist blamed satnav for sending him wrong way up A303 dual carriageway
- 2 New artist drawing his way around Seaton
- 3 Full steam ahead for Honiton Hill Rally on bank holiday weekend
- 4 Caravan left 'severely damaged' by fire on A35
- 5 Nine-year-old launches fundraising appeal to spruce up RD&E's kids ward
- 6 Repair work on flood damage begins at Axminster bowling club
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Organisers aren't 'sheepish' about this upcoming Axe Valley event
- 9 Aldi seeking approval for extension of former Coop site
- 10 Kilmington driver admits injuring woman in Axminster crash
Julia Cutforth, therapy manager for the Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust, said Nicky was “thrilled” to be nominated.
She said: “Nicky demonstrates a real focus on patient care and strives to empower patients to achieve their potential with regard to their mobility and independence.”
Nicky joined the community rehabilitation team at Honiton Hospital five years ago.
Since then the team has integrated with other community services to form the CCT, allowing for closer working relationships with healthcare colleagues.
Julia said Nicky helped patients to help themselves, including through exercise programmes.
She said: “Through her holistic approach, she often discovers other issues patients may be having and involves other agencies and services where appropriate to assist, ensuring the patient remains at the centre of their care.”
We launched the Healthcare Hero awards earlier this month in partnership with the Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust.
The Trust manages all seven community hospitals in East Devon – Honiton, Ottery St Mary, Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton, Sidmouth, Seaton and Axminster.
It also runs health and social care services across the area, but not Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford).
All Trust staff are eligible for nomination, including doctors, nurses, healthcare assistants, therapists, cleaners and porters.
To nominate a member of staff who has gone the extra mile, email Belinda Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to her at Fair Oak Close, Exeter Airport Business Park, Clyst Honiton, Devon, EX5 2UL.