Uplyme Church to host art festival
- Credit: Archant
Pam Simpson will launch the event with a talk entitled: ‘The Journey Towards Abstraction’
This year’s art festival in Uplyme Church launches on Wednesday August 22 with a talk by local expert Pamela Simpson.
Pam has taught in London art schools for more than 30 years and now lives in West Dorset.
Her talk, ‘The Journey Towards Abstraction’, looks at aspects of paintings that led artists towards a new way of painting in the 20th century. These include early cave painting, Giotto, John Constable, Van Gogh, Ben Nicholson, Sonia Delauney, Mark Rothko and Bridget Riley.
Tickets for the talk are £10 with proceeds going to Uplyme Uganda projects Tearfund and New Hope Uganda. Contact Sheila Stratton for details on 01297 445464.
You may also want to watch:
Historic buildings consultants Angel Architecture and LF Webb architectural design are sponsoring the talk. It’s followed by two days of art on display in the church on August 24 and 25 from 10.30am to 4.30pm. Entry to the art show is free.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 5 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020