Appeal launched for on-call firefighters
- Credit: Archant
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has launched an appeal calling for retained firefighters in Honiton.
Honiton Fire Station is hosting an open morning for prospective on-call firefighters on Saturday, September 20, to find out more about the role, from 9am to 1pm, at the station in Dowell Street.
Retained firefighters are needed to be ‘on call’ between the hours of 9am and 5pm.
A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “No previous experience of firefighting is necessary for this role.
“The ideal prospective firefighter starts with a commitment to the community, a positive attitude and a good level of fitness.
You may also want to watch:
“This is an opportunity for men and women who live and or work within five minutes’ response time to the station to potentially save lives in fire, flood and road traffic emergencies.
“Being on-call means that you provide a level of cover whilst at work or at home and when you are needed your pager will alert you to attend the station.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 6 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 7 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 10 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
“People who can give cover during the day are particularly needed. Many people have primary occupations whilst on-call – either employed or self-employed – the service has examples of employees in factories, shops, takeaways and restaurants who are on-call firefighters.”
Applicants need to be over 18 and have a good level of fitness and strength.