Appeal man given 'death sentence'

PUBLISHED: 09:21 16 April 2008 | UPDATED: 21:44 15 June 2010

A KILMINGTON man with terminal cancer has had his appeal for a potentially life-prolonging drug turned down by the NHS and says he has been served a death sentence". Father-of-four Leslie Thompson-Talbot, 58, told the Herald yesterday (Tuesday) that hi

A KILMINGTON man with terminal cancer has had his appeal for a potentially life-prolonging drug turned down by the NHS - and says he has been served a "death sentence".Father-of-four Leslie Thompson-Talbot, 58, told the Herald yesterday (Tuesday) that his application - and only hope - had been refused.He said: "I am angry and upset. It's basically a death sentence. "They have taken away my hope."The Herald reported last month how Mr Thompson-Talbot, who was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma in 2002, was declined funding for Sunitinib even though other people in his area were receiving the treatment.But Mr Thompson-Talbot said he would not give up the fight and will look at other ways to tackle Devon Primary Care Trust's ruling.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald