Armed intruders put Honiton householders in hospital
Detectives appeal for information as crooks with handguns and a knife bungle burglary in residential area.
DETECTIVES are hunting two armed men who confronted a Honiton family in their own home last night (Sunday).
The intruders, who were armed with handguns and a knife, are thought to have entered the property, in the Rosemount Lane area, at around 7pm.
Anybody with any information about the offenders is urged to contact police.
“It is believed the offenders fled from the scene empty-handed when challenged by one of the occupants,” said a spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Constabulary.
You may also want to watch:
“Following the incident, two of the residents, a man and a woman, were taken to hospital.”
Police have told the Midweek Herald that the victims were suffering from shock and minor injuries.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Community unites to back historic market town charter celebration
- 4 Come and join us at village fayre, say organisers
- 5 Pennies from heaven! Crowds prove it's still the hottest ticket in town
- 6 Amazing ultra challenges for Axe Valley Runners
- 7 Fantastic return for the Seaton Parkrun
- 8 Flower show is back after two-year break
- 9 Your chance to be crowned top artist
- 10 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
The man was later released from hospital, but the woman was kept in overnight for observations.
News of the aggravated burglary was all over Honiton by 10pm.
Facebook was red hot with details of the crime.
Residents contacted the Midweek Herald, saying they could hear a helicopter and feared the offenders were still on the loose.
Neighbours were advising each other to lock their doors,
It was alleged the offenders may have been wearing balaclavas.
A police car was still outside the location of the incident at shortly before midnight.
Detectives in Honiton were too busy to speak to the Midweek Herald this morning.
Police say initial descriptions of the offenders are limited, but hope more details will be released soon.
If you saw anybody acting suspiciously in the vicinity of the aggravated burglary, or know who the offenders are, call Honiton CID on 08452 777444.
What do you think? Are you shocked that such a thing could happen in Honiton, where crimes of this nature are unheard of? Leave your comments below.