Awliscombe Primary School choir triumph in BBC competition
- Credit: Archant
Awliscombe Primary School’s choir have won this year’s BBC Radio Devon Star for Christmas competition after entering for the very first time.
The choir, whose youngest members are just five years old, were judged the best in the 'small schools' category.
They performed an upbeat medley of Christmas songs including Oh Come, All Ye Faithful and Away in a Manger that they had been rehearsing since the beginning of November.
The finalists' songs were played on the radio, with listeners encouraged to vote for their favourite.
The choirs then performed in front of a panel of judges at a concert in Torquay on Wednesday, December 18.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Gregory, who runs the choir, said the children were very excited when they reached the finals and the BBC came to the school to record their song.
"Then going down yesterday afternoon and being part of a radio show, having a live band, having to go for a sound check, all the cameras, all the microphones, it was a really surreal but really magical experience," she said.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 5 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 6 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 7 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 8 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 9 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 10 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
The recording of the concert will be broadcast on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.