Axe accused released on bail
But he must reside at a hospital.
A 50-year-old man has appeared at Crown Court accused of using an axe to attack a police car during an incident in a country lane in East Devon.
Simon Birks did not enter a plea during the brief preliminary hearing before Judge Francis Gilbert, QC, at Exeter Crown Court.
Birks, of Sportley, Membury, near Axminster, faces three counts of having an offensive weapon at Stockland in April.
He is also charged with causing criminal damage to a police car and attempting to cause grievous bodily harm to a police officer.
You may also want to watch:
Birks was released on bail with a condition that he resides at the Langdon Hospital in Dawlish where he is being treated. His case was adjourned to a plea and case management hearing on October 2.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 3 Museum exhibition offers a glimpse into wartime life
- 4 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 5 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 6 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 7 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 8 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 9 Champions of art and culture help connect communities