Axminster Carpets: day of action in pictures
- Credit: Archant
Photo gallery. Community rallies to show its support for world famous carpet factory.
This was the scene in Axminster on Saturday when hundreds rallied to show their support for the town’s carpet factory.
Union branch secretary Derek Branker, the Mayor of Axminster, Councillor Andrew Moulding, and hundreds of workers and local families turned out to launch a petition.
Recently-appointed branch chairman of the Community Union, Pete Coath, helped to organise the event. He is a weaver who has worked at Axminster Carpets Limited for 37 years.
The petition is calling on the Government to provide more help for the nation’s carpet industry.
Crisis talks are still under way at the factory to safeguard jobs.
Administration is a back-up plan, if talks fail to come up with a rescue package for the business which employs around 400 people.
- 1 Judi Spiers re-dedicates Pecorama train Jimmy
- 2 Man attacks seagull with cricket bat in Lyme Regis
- 3 The day a fallen scarecrow was mistaken for a dead body
- 4 Honiton's long association with the Royal Navy
- 5 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 6 Honiton councillor finalist for young civic awards
- 7 Man released on bail after Dunkeswell accident
- 8 Review: Confusions, by Colyton Theatre Group
- 9 Mole screening day in Honiton hailed 'great success'
- 10 Police warn of cowboy traders in the local area
Updates to follow.