Axminster Carpets: day of action in pictures
- Credit: Archant
Photo gallery. Community rallies to show its support for world famous carpet factory.
This was the scene in Axminster on Saturday when hundreds rallied to show their support for the town’s carpet factory.
Union branch secretary Derek Branker, the Mayor of Axminster, Councillor Andrew Moulding, and hundreds of workers and local families turned out to launch a petition.
Recently-appointed branch chairman of the Community Union, Pete Coath, helped to organise the event. He is a weaver who has worked at Axminster Carpets Limited for 37 years.
The petition is calling on the Government to provide more help for the nation’s carpet industry.
You may also want to watch:
Crisis talks are still under way at the factory to safeguard jobs.
Administration is a back-up plan, if talks fail to come up with a rescue package for the business which employs around 400 people.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
Updates to follow.