Axminster Carpets responds to project jeopardy
AXMINSTER Carpets has responded to the announcement that lottery funding has been refused for a heritage centre in the town.
AXMINSTER Carpets has responded to the announcement that
lottery funding has been refused for a heritage centre in the town.
The company had supported Axminster Heritage Limited's bid to fully develop a centre at its Thomas Whitty House, in Silver Street.
But the centre's application for �200,000 was turned down - and the centre has a time limit to use another �200,000 awarded by Devon County Council.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the company said: "Axminster Carpets was
saddened to hear the news that lottery funding for the Axminster Heritage project was not forthcoming on this occasion.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 3 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 4 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 5 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 6 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 7 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 8 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
"Whilst disappointed, the Company will continue to help Axminster Heritage in their aim to set-up up a centre for the town, celebrating the town's history, particularly the link to the production of famous and world class quality carpet.
"We hope Axminster Heritage continue in their quest to find the funds needed."
The committee hopes to raise a total of �1.5 million for the centre, which could attract as many as 20,000 visitors to the town when its fully operational.
Cntre chairman John Church said they would continue to look for funding elsewhere.
He added: "We are appreciative of the support Axminster Carpets has given us over the years and their continued support.