Axminster Carpets unaffected by closure of Irish factory
Forty-three jobs lost as Curragh Carpets goes into voluntary liquidation, blaming poor trading conditions
The Irish subsidiary of Axminster Carpets Holdings ltd - Tintawn Holdings - has closed with the loss of 43 jobs.
Trading as Curragh Carpets, the plant, in Newbridge, Co Kildare, went into voluntary liquidation, blaming difficult trading conditions.
Bosses say its closure will have no impact on the operation of the Axminster factory – an entirely separate business.
But spokeswoman Joanna Randall said the East Devon plant would step in to fulfil any existing orders that have been placed with Curragh Carpets so that retailers will not be affected.
You may also want to watch:
She continued: “The Curragh business in Ireland has been facing significant pressure over the past few years due to adverse trading conditions as a result of the economic downturn.
“The brand has been hit especially hard by the economic environment and has struggled to maintain its competitiveness in the Irish carpet sector. The market for tufted carpet has come under significant price pressures from foreign imports and increasing cost of production.
- 1 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 2 Town's Market Charter Day event is set to be biggest, say organisers
- 3 Hundreds of sites are earmarked for new development
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 800th anniversary makes town's celebrated event a hot topic this year
- 6 Property of the Week: Otter Mill
- 7 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
- 8 He was going, going gone... but now TV auctioneer is back
- 9 Scheme for affordable homes on old football pitch moves step closer
- 10 It's time to get on your bike for the Hospiscare Tour de Devon
“As a result, the management of the Curragh business has been endeavouring to find a commercially viable option for the production to be maintained at Curragh, unfortunately, a solution has not been found.
“Following a period of consultation on the future of the production facility the board has regretfully announced the decision has been taken to proceed to place Curragh Tintawn Carpets Ltd into voluntary liquidation.”