Axminster charity’s “get stuffed” message
South Street food store wants families to liven up their summer holiday meals
AXMINSTER families are being urged to say “get stuffed” to boring foods.
The South Street-based charity - Health and Food for Local Families (HALFF) – is teaming up with West Dorset food historian and expert Maya Pieris to help put some life back into summer holiday meals.
She will be showing parents and children of all ages how to transform the likes of the humble pitta bread, lettuce leaf or even an orange into delicious and healthy dishes by folding, filling and stuffing them.
All the ingredients used are inexpensive and readily available and the audience will be invited to try their hand at all sorts of combinations.
The “Get Stuffed” session at HALFF’s South Street base follows Maya’s highly successful “Marvellous Marmalade” demonstration there earlier this year.
“Get Stuffed” is part of HALFF’s drive to offer as wide a range of activities as possible at its Axminster shop and information centre.
- 1 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 2 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 3 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
- 4 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 5 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 6 Colyton decides on new neighbourhood development plan
- 7 Charity golf circus on the Honiton greens
- 8 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 9 Where to see Santa in the Seaton area this Christmas
- 10 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
As well as regular demonstrations, the shop also hosts weaning sessions, cookery demonstrations for the over-60s, a toddlers’ gardening club and sells a wide selection of fresh British fruit and vegetables.
“Children love making and creating their own dishes, and experimenting with different combinations,” said HALFF director Tiggy Parry.
“This is a fun, cheap and quick way to make an endless variety of healthy snacks and meals.”
“Get Stuffed” is being run on a first come, first served basis. Parents and children of all ages are welcome. It takes place on Tuesday July 26 from 10.30am to 12 Noon, admission �2.50.
For more information call (01297) 631782 or visit the HALFF shop in South Street.