Axminster has a rich heritage
Having lived and worked in Axminster all my life, I am amazed that so many locals have not visited the Heritage Museum and don t even know where it is or what it is all about.
Having lived and worked in Axminster all my life, I am amazed that so many locals have not visited the Heritage Museum and don't even know where it is or what it is all about.
Thomas Whitty put Axminster on the map and the name of Axminster is world famous due to him and his skills - I know I am somewhat prejudiced, having worked for Axminster Carpets for more than 48 years, but, honestly; the story is a fascinating one, and one which we should all be very proud to be associated with.
I have always thought that Axminster undersells itself and we have so very much of which to be proud - Danny Jaffe and his feather factory, Axminster Power Tools, to name but two.
Do go along and have a look at the Heritage Museum in Thomas Whitty House, Silver Street - it will cost you nothing, unless you choose to buy a pen or a postcard, and it does represent our heritage in Axminster.
You may also want to watch:
Michael P J Steer
Vine House, Lyme Road
- 1 Violent thug jailed after violent attack in supermarket
- 2 Rogue builder jailed for ripping off Honiton customers
- 3 Thug jailed for violent bottle attack at Seaton Tesco
- 4 Seaton Gateway opens after revamp
- 5 Killerton Christmas countdown
- 6 Open invitation to help save church for the community
- 7 Pink and blue on the Honiton greens
- 8 Hundreds of bikers rev up to raise funds for life savers
- 9 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 10 Wedding venue team goes extra mile for customers