Axminster homes plan meeting abandoned
Room too crowded for Cloakham debate to go ahead
A SPECIAL town council meeting called to discuss a controversial Axminster housing development had to be abandoned – because too many people turned up.
More than 100 members of the public tried to get into the Churchill Room at The Guildhall on Wednesday to hear, and take part in, the debate over plans to build 400 homes at Cloakham Lawns.
But Mayor Ron Jones had to call a halt because the room is limited to a maximum of 60 people.
The main, much larger auditorium downstairs, was occupied so they could not relocate.
You may also want to watch:
Now the homes plan will be debated by the council during its next regular monthly meeting on Monday, March 14, at 7.15pm, which will be held in the main hall to provide enough room for all those who want to attend.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 5 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 6 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 7 School embraces reading challenge
- 8 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 9 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism