Axminster hotel’s reopening still a long way off
Owners of the historic George Hotel say there is still much restoration work to do
THE reopening of Axminster’s historic George Hotel is still a long way off, its owners admitted today (Thursday).
They were responding to Mayor Ron Jones’ comments at the annual parish meeting when he welcomed the current work to restore the building to its former glory.
It’s return as a hotel was much needed and very welcome, he said.
But a spokesman for Ilminster-based Mynster Properties, which owns the building, told The Herald that any impression that its reopening was imminent was not correct.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a long, long way off,” he said. “We are still working to make the building sound and secure and water-tight inside.”
But he confirmed that the plan was definitely to run the business as a hotel again – “that’s our fundamental aim” - along with a restaurant and small bar, open to the public.
- 1 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 2 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
- 3 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 6 Museum exhibition offers a glimpse into wartime life
- 7 Judith is miles ahead in climate change action campaign
- 8 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 9 Turkish delight for Axe Valley Runner
- 10 Increase in hate crime across Devon and Cornwall