Axminster hotel’s reopening still a long way off
Owners of the historic George Hotel say there is still much restoration work to do
THE reopening of Axminster’s historic George Hotel is still a long way off, its owners admitted today (Thursday).
They were responding to Mayor Ron Jones’ comments at the annual parish meeting when he welcomed the current work to restore the building to its former glory.
It’s return as a hotel was much needed and very welcome, he said.
But a spokesman for Ilminster-based Mynster Properties, which owns the building, told The Herald that any impression that its reopening was imminent was not correct.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a long, long way off,” he said. “We are still working to make the building sound and secure and water-tight inside.”
But he confirmed that the plan was definitely to run the business as a hotel again – “that’s our fundamental aim” - along with a restaurant and small bar, open to the public.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters