Axminster hotel set to reopen
Mayor welcomes refurbishment of the historic George Hotel - but fears for the future of Websters Garage
PLANS to reopen Axminster’s historic George Hotel have been welcomed by Mayor Ron Jones.
He told the annual parish meeting, last night (Monday), that its return, as a hotel, after a long period of refurbishment, was “much needed and very welcome”.
But he said he was less optimistic about the future for the derelict Webster’s Garage site, opposite.
“I wish I could say the same for that, but we can only hope,” he said.
Councillor Andrew Moulding said at least Axminster Arts’ scheme to spruce up the fa�ade of the building would give them something pleasant to look at.
Council Douglas Hull said the bad news was that the Post Office was again dragging its feet over co-operating with a scheme to develop the site, which adjoins its sorting office.
- 1 Farmers' naked calendar is a smash hit for charity
- 2 Candidates lining up to replace Neil Parish in Tiverton and Honiton
- 3 Hobby cannabis grower from Axminster busted after he 'got greedy'
- 4 Biggest game in history looms for Beer Albion
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 8 The Queen;s Jubilee celebrations in Ottery and Phyllis Baxter
- 9 Honiton camera club hold snap meeting
- 10 Axminster Queens Jubilee events
“They are no longer being constructive,” he said. “They are holding it all back.”
Mr Jones ended his annual report with an optimistic note.
“Axminster has a future – far more going for it than some much larger towns,” he said.