Axminster hotel set to reopen
Mayor welcomes refurbishment of the historic George Hotel - but fears for the future of Websters Garage
PLANS to reopen Axminster’s historic George Hotel have been welcomed by Mayor Ron Jones.
He told the annual parish meeting, last night (Monday), that its return, as a hotel, after a long period of refurbishment, was “much needed and very welcome”.
But he said he was less optimistic about the future for the derelict Webster’s Garage site, opposite.
“I wish I could say the same for that, but we can only hope,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Andrew Moulding said at least Axminster Arts’ scheme to spruce up the fa�ade of the building would give them something pleasant to look at.
Council Douglas Hull said the bad news was that the Post Office was again dragging its feet over co-operating with a scheme to develop the site, which adjoins its sorting office.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 3 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 4 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
“They are no longer being constructive,” he said. “They are holding it all back.”
Mr Jones ended his annual report with an optimistic note.
“Axminster has a future – far more going for it than some much larger towns,” he said.