Axminster OAP’s £25k Postcode Lottery win
- Credit: Archant
Edward, 75, said he was ‘gobsmacked’ when the cheque was delivered to his home
An Axminster pensioner has won a whopping £25,000 when his lucky postcode – EX13 5NB – was drawn as the winner of the Saturday Street Prize for August 20.
Edward Samwell, 75, of Hallett’s Way, was left gobsmacked when People’s Postcode Lottery Ambassador, Danyl Johnson turned up at his door.
He said: “Never in a million years did I think I would ever win that kind of money. When Danyl pulled out my cheque and I saw how much it was – it took my breath away.
“My wife and I are both retired pensioners and this is really going to change our lives. It will certainly take some of the worry away.
You may also want to watch:
“I started playing People’s Postcode Lottery because 30 per cent of every ticket goes directly to charity.
“I think this is a fantastic way to do your bit for good causes and also you have a chance of winning some money.”
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 3 Have your say on future development of village
- 4 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 5 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 6 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 7 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 End of online meetings leaves councils with a dilemma
- 10 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
People’s Postcode Lottery Ambassador Danyl Johnson said: “Lucky Edward! He was the only person in his postcode playing People’s Postcode Lottery so his neighbours all missed out on their chance to win £25,000. I’m sure this will make his retirement a lot more comfortable.”
So far players of People’s Postcode Lottery have raised an amazing £135.8 million for charities across Great Britain and internationally.
Devon Hospiscare is amongst the organisations to benefit.
It is the sole provider of specialist palliative care for people with an incurable disease in Exeter, Mid and East Devon. Earlier this year, Hospiscare received £1,000 to help maintain its garden by providing assistance with running costs and the purchase of plants and tools.
Please visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk for more information on People’s Postcode Lottery.