Axminster pupils are reading challenge champions
- Credit: Archant
St Mary’s RC school collects a cheque for £100 from the town’s Rotary Club
Pupils from St Mary’s RC Primary School at Axminster collected a cheque for £100 after being named the local library’s summer reading challenge champions.
More pupils from the school read books during the holidays than any other school – with Kilmington a close second.
The prize money was donated by Axminster Rotary Club and handed over by president John Foulkes.
Also at the ceremony was mayor Paul Hayward, who praised the youngsters and said their book reading would serve them well in later life.
You may also want to watch:
He said they could look back and say part of their success was because of what they got from the library and the staff - at ‘the number one library in Devon’.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 6 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 9 Seaton Cricket club ‘bowled over’ by gesture from local housebuilder
- 10 Great gran takes plunge at Lyme Regis