Axminster pupils are reading challenge champions
- Credit: Archant
St Mary’s RC school collects a cheque for £100 from the town’s Rotary Club
Pupils from St Mary’s RC Primary School at Axminster collected a cheque for £100 after being named the local library’s summer reading challenge champions.
More pupils from the school read books during the holidays than any other school – with Kilmington a close second.
The prize money was donated by Axminster Rotary Club and handed over by president John Foulkes.
Also at the ceremony was mayor Paul Hayward, who praised the youngsters and said their book reading would serve them well in later life.
You may also want to watch:
He said they could look back and say part of their success was because of what they got from the library and the staff - at ‘the number one library in Devon’.
- 1 'Unmissable' music show a treat for Beehive audiences
- 2 PM had to be cautious on next step, says MP
- 3 Farm opens gardens and wildflower meadows to support good causes
- 4 4 common roofing problems and how you can fix them
- 5 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 Axminster bowlers travel to Seaton for a challenging fixture
- 8 Royal College of Midwives calls for long-term investment in NHS staff
- 9 Leanne's charity pledge to spread the word on vision awareness
- 10 Traders repay public's support with a fortnight feast of fiver offers