Axminster: Railway work on schedule
WORK on the passing loop at Axminster railway station is progressing according to the contractors timetable.
WORK on the passing loop at Axminster railway station is progressing according to the contractors' timetable.
The work is part of a �20m scheme to deliver hourly services between Exeter St Davids to London Waterloo by the end of this year.
The scheme is funded by Network Rail and will bring more trains to the route and also improve Axminster station to accommodate the potential boost in passenger capacity in the area.
Core commissioning work, including testing the signals and laying the new track will be carried out later in the year.
You may also want to watch:
The new time-table for the hourly service is due to start end of this year.
Regular passengers who use the Axminster station have seen the former second platform being redeveloped, with the channel going in for the signalling cables and a new supporting wall.
- 1 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 2 He was going, going gone... but now TV auctioneer is back
- 3 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
- 4 Town's Market Charter Day event is set to be biggest, say organisers
- 5 800th anniversary makes town's celebrated event a hot topic this year
- 6 Cranbrook's minister praises town as she says goodbye
- 7 Adjusting to cricket's new points-average system
- 8 Home care business receives prestigious national popularity award
- 9 Yarty Party is back with a line-up to lift spirits and entertain
- 10 Axe Valley Runners in Exeter Quay race
Work has also been going on for the new footbridge to link the two platforms, with concrete pads already installed to support it, and the metal work on site, being prepared to be lifted into position, in due course.
The principal contractor, BAM Nuttall, has also brought in some of the track that will make up the three-mile loop, although there is a lot of work needed before it can be lifted into place.
Work is on schedule.