Axminster’s Allan plans to celebrate his 80th birthday with a skydive
- Credit: Archant
Allan Hill has no plans to spend his 80th birthday sipping sherry with his feet up – he’s going to celebrate by jumping out of a plane from 15,000ft.
He has organised a tandem skydive to raise money for his favourite charity – Devon Air Ambulance.
Allan, of Abbey Close, Axminster, says his motto is: ‘Growing old is inevitable – but growing up is optional!’.
He is hoping to raise £2,000 in sponsorship for the flying medics when he leaps from a plane over Dunkeswell, on February 3.
He told the Herald: “A lot of people have a party, but you only end up with a sore head, so I decided to do something a little challenging and help something which I have got a feeling for.
You may also want to watch:
“I am a motorcyclist and although I hope I never have to use the air ambulance, I am comforted by the fact that it is there. I am lucky enough to be in pretty good health so that I can do this.”
Allan, who has two artificial hips, has skydived before. He did a tandem jump aged 70 while on holiday in New Zealand.
- 1 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 4 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 East Devon MPs 'reluctantly agree' on Lockdown Three
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
The former BT engineer retired to Axminster with his wife Val some 30 years ago.
People can sponsor him online at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AllanHill2 or call him on 01297 32967.