Axminster will take Honiton's cash if centre plan is scuppered - claim
I DON T want to see a penny wasted The view of town and district councillor Peter Halse on the subject of the Beehive Community Centre.
I DON'T want to see a penny wasted" The view of town and district councillor Peter Halse on the subject of the Beehive Community Centre.
Addressing a meeting of electors, he said: "Twenty years ago, I was against this project. I didn't believe there was an authority that could keep it going."
He had changed his mind after being impressed by work carried out by the current town council.
In a stark warning to those who oppose the project, he said: "If you vote it down, �300,000 will go straight back to East Devon District Council.
You may also want to watch:
"Axminster is a go-ahead town. They will take that money and �500,000 of developers' money will as well."
Councillor Halse said he was "rather like a tiger in a cage putting my paw out".
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 3 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 4 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 5 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 6 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 7 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
- 8 Sky's the limit for popular artist as new exhibition opens
- 9 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
"If you turn this down now, okay - on your heads be it," he added.