Baton to accompany HMS Astute on sea trials
THE Honiton-based Baton, which serves as a symbol of the nation s pride in the armed forces, is to accompany the royal Navy s newest and most advanced submarine on sea trials.
THE Honiton-based Baton, which serves as a symbol of the nation's pride in the armed forces, is to accompany the royal Navy's newest and most advanced submarine on sea trials.
Alan Rowe MBE is to travel to Scotland to hand over the Baton to the crew of HMS Astute next month.
The vessel incorporates the latest stealth technology, combined with a world beating sonar system and is equiped with Spearfish torpedoes and tomahawk land attack missiles.
When she become operational, she will be capable of circumnavigating the globe without surfacing and, with the advance of nuclear technology, she will never need refuelling.
You may also want to watch:
Rear Admiral Simon Lister said: "Astute will be a quantum leap from the Trafalgar class and all involved can be justifyably proud.
- 1 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 2 Town's Market Charter Day event is set to be biggest, say organisers
- 3 Hundreds of sites are earmarked for new development
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 Property of the Week: Otter Mill
- 6 800th anniversary makes town's celebrated event a hot topic this year
- 7 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
- 8 He was going, going gone... but now TV auctioneer is back
- 9 Scheme for affordable homes on old football pitch moves step closer
- 10 It's time to get on your bike for the Hospiscare Tour de Devon