Baton to accompany HMS Astute on sea trials
THE Honiton-based Baton, which serves as a symbol of the nation s pride in the armed forces, is to accompany the royal Navy s newest and most advanced submarine on sea trials.
THE Honiton-based Baton, which serves as a symbol of the nation's pride in the armed forces, is to accompany the royal Navy's newest and most advanced submarine on sea trials.
Alan Rowe MBE is to travel to Scotland to hand over the Baton to the crew of HMS Astute next month.
The vessel incorporates the latest stealth technology, combined with a world beating sonar system and is equiped with Spearfish torpedoes and tomahawk land attack missiles.
When she become operational, she will be capable of circumnavigating the globe without surfacing and, with the advance of nuclear technology, she will never need refuelling.
You may also want to watch:
Rear Admiral Simon Lister said: "Astute will be a quantum leap from the Trafalgar class and all involved can be justifyably proud.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 3 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
- 4 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 5 Monday means a big step forward on road to economic recovery
- 6 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 7 Have your say on future development of village
- 8 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
- 9 Sisters urge supporters to keep giving as mum battles to beat cancer
- 10 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help