Baton to accompany HMS Astute on sea trials
THE Honiton-based Baton, which serves as a symbol of the nation s pride in the armed forces, is to accompany the royal Navy s newest and most advanced submarine on sea trials.
THE Honiton-based Baton, which serves as a symbol of the nation's pride in the armed forces, is to accompany the royal Navy's newest and most advanced submarine on sea trials.
Alan Rowe MBE is to travel to Scotland to hand over the Baton to the crew of HMS Astute next month.
The vessel incorporates the latest stealth technology, combined with a world beating sonar system and is equiped with Spearfish torpedoes and tomahawk land attack missiles.
When she become operational, she will be capable of circumnavigating the globe without surfacing and, with the advance of nuclear technology, she will never need refuelling.
You may also want to watch:
Rear Admiral Simon Lister said: "Astute will be a quantum leap from the Trafalgar class and all involved can be justifyably proud.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 3 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 4 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 7 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 8 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 9 Rail users can enjoy 'moor' views as Dartmoor Line reopens after 50 years
- 10 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism