Bill Oddie supports Axe Wetlands work
NATURALIST Bill Oddie has sent a message of support to district council staff and volunteers for the work on the Axe Wetlands to create a large reserve on the estuary.
The former member of the Goodies trio of comedians wrote about his youth spent at the River Axe and praised the work done there.
Bill met biodiversity exhibition volunteer Mike Dannatt in the past, who told him about the activities being run.
Bill wrote a letter, in which he said: “The plans and changes associated with the Axe Wetlands project will, I have no doubt at all, constitute a huge gain – for birds, for other wildlife and, of course, for people.”
A ‘wet and wild’ weekend will take place in the Axe Estuary Wetlands from August 20 to 22.
You may also want to watch:
The East Devon District Council event, in its third year, will include a variety of activities – most of which are free.
Run by the council’s countryside team, rangers and volunteers are offering a whole weekend of wildlife discovery on the reserve. It is hoped a new generation of young people can get up close to nature and be inspired – just as Bill was all those years ago.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 6 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 William conquers 200 books
- 9 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 10 Half-year property sales are twice the five-year average
This time, for the first year, there will be wildlife photography sessions with resident photographer Ben Lee.
Between 10am and 4pm each day, there will be pond dipping, bird watching and minibeast hunting.
For more information, visit www.eastdevon.gov.uk/countryside or call EDDC’s Countryside Service on 01395 517557 or email firstname.lastname@example.org