Bodies found in landslide car
Vehicle lay buried at Beaminster for more than a week with a man and woman inside.
The bodies of two people have been found in a car which lay buried beneath a landslip in West Dorset for more than a week.
The man and woman were found when their vehicle was unearthed near Beaminster Tunnel by firefighters last night (Monday).
Police had been searching for two missing Somerset people.
The focus switched to Beaminster when it was suggested they might be in the area on Saturday, July 7.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: “At this time it is too early to speculate about the outcome but families have been informed and are being supported by family liaison officers.
The A3066 road had been closed at the tunnel since heavy flooding over the July 6/7 weekend.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 7 Beer Albion edge Colyton in local showdown
- 8 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 9 Cranbrook prevail in local derby
- 10 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
The downpour caused a landslide on the hill above the tunnel which fell onto the road and some structural damage to tunnel itself.
In a joint statement Dorset Police and Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said: “At approximately 6.30pm yesterday (Monday 16 July 2012), Dorset Fire and Rescue Service were contacted by Avon and Somerset police regarding the partial collapse of Beaminster Tunnel.
“Crews were subsequently sent to investigate the area, and following a period of excavation discovered a vehicle under a large volume of earth and mud.
“At approximately 7.20pm yesterday, Dorset Police were advised that Dorset Fire and Rescue Service personnel had discovered a car under a large volume of earth outside the entrance of Beaminster Tunnel.
“The road has been closed and a cordon has been put in place while emergency service staff attempt to excavate the vehicle.”