Bogus police sponsorship scam targets traders
“It’s nothing to do with us,” say police.
Police are warning local businesses about a bogus operation where a man asks for sponsorship money.
The man contacts local traders by telephone and claims he is from Devon and Cornwall Police and asks them to sponsor him.
A police spokesman said: “This is a bogus operation and business owners are advised not to enter into any communication with them.
“It is nothing to do with us and we just want to make as many businesses and private individuals aware of this scam in case they are approached.”
You may also want to watch:
The caller is described as well-spoken with an accent possibly from the north west of England.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 3 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 MP gets a flavour of community food project's new base
- 7 Property of the Week: Marcella House, Kilmington
- 8 School embraces reading challenge
- 9 Ashley and Kate win prestigious organic farming accolade
- 10 Seaton tourist attraction to stay closed to the public