Breaking news: Honiton secures funding for Roundball Wood
HONITON Town Council has been awarded �7,500 for its Friends of Roundball Wood project.
HONITON Town Council has been awarded �7,500 for its "Friends of Roundball Wood" project.
The funding, from the East Devon AONB Sustainable Development Fund, will allow wardens and volunteers, working with the council, to build on the work carried out under last year's funding from the same cash pot.
A council spokesperson said: "A great deal of work was done to improve people's understanding of the wood through new interpretation boards and a general leaflet, which will soon be available.
"Wardens are also working hard with the group of volunteers and will soon be concentrating on improved access to the wood as well as better walkways, funded by the Town Council.
You may also want to watch:
"Traditional hedge laying has also been carried out, together with clearance of undergrowth."
The grant will allow the Friends to develop the wood to provide educational opportunities for local schools with the production of fact sheets on particular aspects such as trees and woody plants; birds; history & archaeology; bats as well as the development and installation of a nature trail.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 3 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 4 Have your say on future development of village
- 5 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 6 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 7 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 8 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
- 9 Monday means a big step forward on road to economic recovery
- 10 Anniversary milestone for the railway station that beat Beeching
As a new venture, guided walks are to be offered. They will concentrate on specific aspects of Roundball Wood, such as the birds, the bats and the variety of plants.
The Friends of Roundball Wood are always interested to hear from anyone who would like updates on progress at the wood or is willing to volunteer their time to help with the project.
A vacancy exists for a volunteer warden. Further details are available from the town clerk on (01404) 42957.