Breaking news: Setback for community centre plan
PLANS for Honiton Community Centre suffered a setback last night – when a new member of Honiton Town Council questioned a proposal for the council to own and run the facility.
PLANS for Honiton Community Centre suffered a setback last night - when a new member of Honiton Town Council questioned a proposal for the council to own and run the facility.
Cllr Mike Allen said any decision should be put on hold until the project's business plan had been viewed and approved by the council.
His proposal was carried in a recorded vote of six to five, with two abstentions.
Councillor Vivienne Ash, the mayor, who is a staunch supporter of the community centre plan, was one of those to abstain from voting. She said it "broke her heart" not to vote.
Deputy mayor Councillor Peter Fleming also abstained.
Community centre steering committee chairman Councillor Michael Teare excused himself from the meeting following the vote, urging councillors to work together to support the plan.
- 1 Did visit prompt Queen Victoria to choose Honiton lace for wedding dress?
- 2 Policing activity in Honiton, Axminster and Colyford
- 3 A site for sore eyes
- 4 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 5 Mud and obelisks for Axe Valley Runners
- 6 Five-year-old girl dies after road accident near Honiton
- 7 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 8 'Setting a balanced budget for Devon'
- 9 Four Devon locations make 'worst places to live' list for 2022
- 10 Candidates sought to stand as new town councillors
Cllr Allen spoke out after a comprehensive report, even detailing the name of the proposed building, was presented to the council's September meeting.
He said the council should be making decisions - not a committee.
However, it was pointed out that the council had tasked the steering group to move the project forward.
Cllr Allen said if that resolution was more than six months old it could be rescinded.
Full in-depth story to follow.
Re-visit this website later today for full story.