Breaking news: Setback for community centre plan
PLANS for Honiton Community Centre suffered a setback last night – when a new member of Honiton Town Council questioned a proposal for the council to own and run the facility.
PLANS for Honiton Community Centre suffered a setback last night - when a new member of Honiton Town Council questioned a proposal for the council to own and run the facility.
Cllr Mike Allen said any decision should be put on hold until the project's business plan had been viewed and approved by the council.
His proposal was carried in a recorded vote of six to five, with two abstentions.
Councillor Vivienne Ash, the mayor, who is a staunch supporter of the community centre plan, was one of those to abstain from voting. She said it "broke her heart" not to vote.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy mayor Councillor Peter Fleming also abstained.
Community centre steering committee chairman Councillor Michael Teare excused himself from the meeting following the vote, urging councillors to work together to support the plan.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
Cllr Allen spoke out after a comprehensive report, even detailing the name of the proposed building, was presented to the council's September meeting.
He said the council should be making decisions - not a committee.
However, it was pointed out that the council had tasked the steering group to move the project forward.
Cllr Allen said if that resolution was more than six months old it could be rescinded.
Full in-depth story to follow.
Re-visit this website later today for full story.