Bumper turnout for ‘Lyme Lunge’
Crowds line the beach to cheer on the brave swimmers in their New Year splash for cash
AROUND 130 brave swimmers took the ‘Lyme Lunge’ plunge on New Year’s Day – well up on the previous year.
Heavy rain kept the crowds down, but there was still a remarkable number of spectators on the beach to see Mayor Sally Holman set the swimmers off on their mad rush to the sea.
The plucky bathers turned out in variety of weird and wonderful costumes, with the award for the best fancy dress going to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.
You may also want to watch:
Lyme Regis Rotary Club, which organised the event, collected �1,165 on the day, with more promised.
Charities that will benefit are RNLI Lyme Regis and ShelterBox.
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 3 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 4 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 5 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 6 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 7 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
The club thanked the mayor for acting as starter, By-the-Bay for providing hot soup, West Country Vending for providing cups, the lifeboat crew and the Lyme Regis Sailing Club for sea safety, and Alan Vian, of the regatta and carnival committee, for providing and managing the PA system.