Can you help send Daryl abroad to aid those in need?
- Credit: Archant
Honiton student needs funding to take part in a World Challenge expedition.
A Honiton Community College student is appealing for funding as he aims to take a part in a three week education expedition abroad.
Daryl Young, 16, of Hazelwood Close, Honiton, intends to travel to Costa Rica and Nicaragua next July as part of World Challenge.
World Challenge is the original schools expedition company, offering students the chance to explore the world while making a difference to their communities.
In the third week of the expedition, Daryl will be helping finish the construction of a school in a remote village which has no education.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m really excited to go,” Daryl said.
“I’ll be gaining a lot of new skills through the trip, and I’m looking forward to sharing my ideas and having a valuable input into the project.”
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
The trip was not just provide a challenging experience for Daryl, but will tailor his social skills.
The student, who is an anti-bullying ambassador for his college, wants to work in social care when he’s older.
“The trip will allow me to talk to people I’ve never met, and by fundraising I’ve also met and interacted with people I don’t know,” he said.
Once Daryl touches down in Costa Rica, he and his group will embark on a six- day trek to Nicaragua, visiting various checkpoints along the way, including several volcanoes.
He has to raise £3,500 for the cost of the trip and has participated in several charity events to generate the funds.
“I’ve done bag packing in Honiton’s Iceland store and in September, I’ll be having my hair shaved and armpits waxed to raise money for the trip,” he said.
“Everyone’s been really supportive so far, especially my parents, friends and family, who have done lots to get the money in.”
To donate towards Daryl’s trip, call him on 0758710522.