Career criminals' sentences delayed
PUBLISHED: 09:09 03 December 2008 | UPDATED: 22:43 15 June 2010
Two career criminals who carried out a series of raids across East Devon will have to wait until the New Year to be sentenced—because of a mix up in obtaining reports.
Two career criminals who carried out a series of raids across East Devon will have to wait until the New Year to be sentenced-because of a mix up in obtaining reports.
40 year old Simon Pledger from Brixham and 31 year old Scott Paget were due to be sentenced at Exeter Crown Court yesterday (Tuesday) but a judge heard the reports had not been prepared by probation because the case papers were not sent to them by the Crown Prosecution Service.
At an earlier hearing the court was told burglaries and thefts were carried out in Sidmouth, Tiverton, Honiton, Awliscombe and in Bideford with property and cash worth over £6,500 being stolen.
Pledger and Paget were then both remanded in custody for the reports to be prepared with Recorder Christopher Parker QC telling the pair: "Custodial sentence are inevitable in cases like this. I make absolutely no promises in adjourning for reports as these are extremely serious offences."
Pledger of North Furzeham Road, Brixham and Paget of Portland Place, Hollybush, Ayr pleaded guilty to a total of six offences.
Both admitted burglaries at Awliscombe Parish Hall where mobile telephones, credit cards and £285 in cash were stolen and Honiton Sports Centre where a bag and contents went missing.
The pair further pleaded guilty to theft from Sidmouth Sports Centre where keys, a lap top computer and £60 in cash was stolen from Ray Clasp.
Pledger admitted a burglary at a garage in Tiverton where he got away with £6,087 and Paget pleaded guilty to dishonestly handling some of that money. Pledger also admitted burgling a shop in Bideford.
The court heard that both men had served lengthy prison sentences in the past and the current offences took place over a five week period in October and November of last year.
Judge John Neligan said there was nothing he could but apologise to the defendants, neither of whom was in court, for the delay and he set the sentencing hearing for January 9 next year.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.