Axminster’s Pippins Community Centre launches £10k Crowdfunding appeal
- Credit: Archant
A £10,000 crowdfunding campaign has been launched to renovate Axminster’s Pippins Community Centre.
The money is needed to winter-proof, weather-proof and future-proof the centre’s treasured Grade II Listed building in Lyme Road.
The appeal comes as the centre launches its first website.
The fundraising campaign began today (Monday, September 28), via East Devon District Council’s Crowdfund East Devon platform, and aims to raise cash towards painting, decorating and repair costs to ensure the centre remains a safe, welcoming and watertight space for its users.
Organisers say it is an opportunity for residents to contribute towards safeguarding one of Axminster’s most precious facilities and most prominent historic buildings.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman said: “If the campaign can raise at least 25per cent of its target within the four-week time period, the project will be considered for matchfunding from EDDC, effectively doubling monies raised.
“So Pippins asks people to dig deep and donate via www.crowdfunder.co.uk/pippins-community-centre-needs-weather-proofing”
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 9 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 10 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
The campaign will close on October 25.
Pippins is a charitably-run community hub, home to more than 40 local groups and essential services, supporting some of the most vulnerable members of the community.
It proudly unveiled its own dedicated website www.pippinscommunitycentre.co.uk this week at Axminster Community Café - a regular event at the centre introduced to combat loneliness and isolation in the town) - and the place to find information on groups, events, volunteering and room hire.
Pippins was ‘born’ as a dedicated community centre in 2016, Some of the initiatives it houses or supports include:
Community Café to help combat loneliness and isolation in the community
Nourish – a community initiative set up to provide access to nourishing food when support is needed.
Job Club – a completely free service to help local jobseekers including Citizens Advice and East Devon Benefits Service
The Hub Drug & Alcohol recovery service.
Axminster Home Educators.
Two baby and toddler groups.
Headlight mental health services for young people
Adult learning opportunities.
United Response cookery sessions.
Axminster Memory Café – supporting individuals with dementia, and their carers.
Axminster New Youth Club.
Singing Matters singing group – singing for wellbeing.
Axminster Methodist Church congregation.
The LIFE Community Christian community.