Celebrity signs petition for allotments in Honiton
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was among more than 70 people to support the petition at a recent event in the Mackarness Hall.
Television celebrity Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has added his name to a petition, calling for allotments in Honiton.
The Channel 4 star, whose River Cottage series is based near Axminster, was one of more than 70 people to sign a petition launched by Honiton Allotment Association.
The petition was available to sign at Transition Town Honiton’s recent Seedy Saturday event, held in the Mackarness Hall, which Mr Fearnley-Whittingstall attended.
A statement, issued by the allotment association’s committee, said: “These signatures have now been handed into the council office.
You may also want to watch:
“Honiton Town Council received them gratefully as it is still striving hard to obtain land for the residents of Honiton to grow their own fruit and vegetables.
“We are a population of over 12,000, with wonderful facilities - football and rugby pitches, bowls, a sports centre with swimming pool and many art and craft clubs - but, and it’s almost unbelievable, not a scrap of ground for the young and elderly to get out in the fresh air and grow healthy food for their families.”
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Old Webster's site car park to be re-opened and run by council
- 3 Hippos beaten by a penalty at Okehampton
- 4 New exhibition for well known local ceramicist
- 5 Property of the Week: Sidmouth Road, Rousdon
- 6 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 7 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 8 Council lobbies Government on behalf of young people
- 9 Village youngsters excited by opening of new pump track
- 10 Colyton cyclist at age 82 rides the Gridiron 100 for Parkinson's UK
The committee said it would like to thank everyone who signed the petition.
“We are most grateful for the support,” the statement said.
The allotment association’s annual meeting will take place in the council chamber at 7.30pm on Friday (april 13).
Association members and those on Honiton Town Council’s waiting list for allotments are invited to attend and are assured of a warm welcome.